Friday, March 25, 2016

Good Friday

A Good Friday 
          Speaking fearlessly is about questioning controversial topics.
         I wonder what’s good about a day the hero of the Christian world gets nailed to a cross.
         Our language keeps evolving verbs into strange multiple meanings. ‘Nailed’ can be slang for sex, being drunk, or clinching a sales presentation.
         With sex and religion in the same paragraph my attention is fully engaged. Roll away the stone, it’s Good Friday, so some pontification upon the state of Christianity may clear my slate on Jesus.
         Jesus first wandered into my consciousness when I found a little red Bible at age three. I showed it to Mom and she told me about God, Adam and Eve and their two sons, the first and only people. Then Mom asked “where did the girls who married the boys come from?” This question has fueled my evolution for six decades.
         The first hymn I learned in Baptist Bible School at age 6 was “♪Onward Christian soldiers marching onto war.” I wondered then and still do what Christians are doing marching to war when the message was Love?
         When John Lennon said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus, he was right in my world. When The Beatles sang “♪All you need is Love” there was no battle. 
         Jesus was the first long hair I ever saw. I had some confusion with Jesus and Santa Claus. They arrived to celebrate the same day; both had a naughty and nice thing going on. Both could do magic with presents. One had disciples, the other reindeer and elves. New information says they both were married to very supportive wives who worked with their husbands. I think it’s a tossup economically with Jesus and the Catholic Church having a head start monetarily, but Santa and Christmas presents now has the marketing momentum.
         When I learned meta programs, how to frame information and beliefs, I framed Jesus as metaphorical role model of present time, highest thought, divine connection, a creator of miracles with the faith to move mountains. He endured conscious suffering. He knew where and how to use his attention. He was a role model whose outcome, getting nailed was an odd ending for a great guy.
         What’s the lesson?
         Maybe it is about questioning legends?
         It is always about what we believe.
         Perhaps we are all metaphorically nailed into a dark cave of our own winter creations and as spring begins we need three days for resurrection and celebration.

         It all depends on how you frame it.
Image result for good friday

No comments: